GPS Geoplaner ( GeoConverter + Routeplan[n]er ) provides several GIS and GPS utilities in a single web-based application:
- Coordinate Finder - find locations worldwide with Google Maps and OSM
- Altitude / Elevations - retrieve altitude or sea depth of any location
- UTM to Latitude / Longitude Converter - and vice versa
- Latitude / Longitude Converter - convert between three notations
- Geocoding - address to Latitude / Longitude converter
- Reverse Geocoding - Latitude / Longitude to address converter
- GPS Waypoint & Route Planner - create GPS waypoints and routes
- Import / Export GPS - Data - upload and download *.gpx-Files
Operating GoogleMaps, Open Street Map by mouse click: Change the map type between "Map", "Satellite", "Hybrid",
"Terrain" (GoogleMaps) and "OSM" (Open Street Map); move the visible map section and zoom in and out the map.
Furthermore there are buttons for browsing through the waypoint list, removing single or all waypoints and editing GPS waypoint titles/names.
Coordinates or GPS waypoints can be created by:
- mouse click: Create a new waypoint by clicking with the left mouse button on the desired position on map. Select an existing waypoint by clicking on it, or move the waypoint. Remove a waypoint by pressing the "remove..."-button.
- coordinate input: Manually input of coordinates in UTM format: hemisphere, UTM zone, easting, northing; or Latitude and Longitude with three possible notations: decimal degrees: dd.ddddd° degrees, decimal minutes: dd° mm.mmm' degrees, minutes, seconds: dd° mm' ss.s''
- address search (Geocoding): Search for postal addresses: country, city, street no. or POI: hilltop, lake, town, island. Check the correctness of the location by reverse geocoding by pressing the "-->" - button.
- gpx-file import: Import coordinates as list of waypoints or GPS route by selecting a *.gpx file on your PC and uploading it. Press "upload WPTs"-button for importing GPS waypoints and "upload Route"-button for importing a GPS route.
Elevation: The Geoplaner automatically retrieves and includes the altitude or sea depth when creating a new waypoint. The elevations are delivered by Google's elevation service.
The Geoplaner converts UTM (Universal Transverse Mercator) and Latitude & Longitude coordinates. The coordinate converter is based on JScoord V1.1.1. The datum or reference ellipsoid is WGS 84 (World Geodetic System 1984). The input of UTM coordinates includes:
- hemisphere (northern or southern),
- UTM zone (zone number),
- easting (x direction) and
- northing (y direction).
Geographical coordinates: Longitude and Latitude can be entered in three different notations:
- decimal degrees: dd.ddddd°
- degrees, decimal minutes: dd° mm.mmm'
- degrees, minutes, seconds: dd° mm' ss.s''
All formats or notations are converted into each other.
Geocoding: The Geoplaner accepts postal addresses such as "state, city, street" or POI such as hilltops, lakes, cities and important places. However the returned geographic location are not always correct: Whereas the postal address lookup mostly returns correct locations, there are sometimes problems with the POI search, when the address string corresponds to several locations. So you should always check the search result on the map. If it is wrong, search for a more common POI or place nearby and then look for your POI on the map from there.
Reverse Geocoding: It might be also helpful to check the location by Reverse Geocoding (provided by Google). The reverse geocoder accepts geographic coordinates as input and returns a postal address. Just press the "-->" - button to trigger reverse geocoding.
The Geoplaner / Route Planner provides basic route planner functions for creating GPS routes suitable for outdoor or street navigation with outdoor GPS receivers. Auto-routing is not supported, however you can map out GPS routes by mouse clicks manually. When creating a route for street navigation GoogleMaps - "map" is most suitable, whereas for walking tours or hiking Open Street Map - "OSM" is more convenient. Open Street Map contains many hiking trails and tracks, especially in touristic areas and mountains and is constantly being completed.
The route planner internally buffers the coordinates as a list of single waypoints. However when downloading them you can optionally choose a waypoint download or a route download. This is important for transferring the waypoints or route to a GPS receiver afterwards. When uploading a GPX-File you can likewise choose whether you want to upload a route or a list of waypoints. The route planner converts GPS routes automatically into a GPS waypoint list. GPS track uploads are not supported yet. When uploading or downloading files no data or files are stored on the route planner server
Export/Download: After creating the route by setting several waypoints along the trail press the "download Route" -button and store the "route.gpx" - file on your PC. Then transfer "route.gpx" to your outdoor GPS receiver via Garmin MapSource or a GPS freeware, or directly save the file on the SD-Memorycard of your receiver.
Import/Upload: It is also possible to upload and edit existing GPS routes or to convert GPS routes into GPS waypoint lists and vice versa. When uploading waypoints or routes the route planner does not import elevations. However when scrolling or clicking through the waypoint list the Google elevation service will add the elevation values and the route planner automatically includes them for the gpx-file download.
2014/02/05 - GPS Geoplaner V2.6
New feature added which allows to create links composed of the Geoplaner-
2013/03/22 - GPS Geoplaner V2.5
a) Graphical user interface improved, better scaling due to the screen size. b) HTML5 Caching introduced.
2011/12/05 - GPS Geoplaner V2.4
a) Easier input of UTM coordinates with delimitors, e.g.: "5.865.883". b) Maximum number of uploadable waypoints increased to 500.
2010/10/20 - Geoplaner V2.3
a) Google Street View enabled. b) Minor improvements: file upload, waypoint deletion, address input.
2010/08/18 - Geoplaner V2.2
a) Implementation of reverse geocoding, triggered by pressing the "-->" - button. Reverse geocoder (Google) translates waypoints (coordinates) into postal addresses. b) Elevation output alternatively in "m" or "ft".
2010/07/01 - Geoplaner V2.1b
2010/06/29 - GPS Geoplaner V2.1a - UTM-Lat/Lon converter & route planner
Improvement of address and POI search: The address of the position delivered by Google-GeoCoder is displayed for verification. This is helpful when using the Geoplaner as route planner.
2010/06/22 - GPS Geoplaner V2.1 - UTM-Lat/Lon converter & route planner
First version in English. The Geoplaner combines coordinate converter and route planner functions. Visit gpso.de/maps/ for version history of Geoplaner in German.